How to stop snoring ?
Snoring, a common sleep disorder can happen to both young and old. This noisy and often embarrassing problem may not be too serious an issue but definitely for those who sleep around us. As Anthony Burgess , an English Novelist once said, “Laugh and the world laughs with you, snore and you sleep alone.”
Men snore much more often than women, and it gets worse as a man ages and puts on weight. Around 45% of adults snore occasionally, while 25% are considered habitual snorers. Occasional snoring is merely a nuisance for the bed partner of the person who snores, while the habitual snorer both disrupts the sleep patterns of those near t him and his as well.
Snoring occurs when you can’t move air freely through your nose and mouth during sleep. This results due to a narrowing of your airway, either from poor sleep posture or abnormalities of the soft tissues in your throat. A narrow airway gets in the way of smooth breathing and creates the sound of snoring.
Some causes of snoring as follows:
* Nasal and sinus problems
* Being out of shape or overweight
* Sleep apnea, a sleep disorder that affects how you breathe
* Consumption of alcohol, smoking, and medications
* Bad posture when sleeping
* Simply the way your throat is built
To tackle the problem of snoring we can adopt some behaviors changes :
* Lose weight and improve your eating habits.
* Avoid sleeping pills, caffeine and heavy meals within two hours of going to bed, especially dairy products and soymilk.
* Establish regular sleeping patterns. For example, try to go to bed at the same time every night.
* Sleep on your side rather than on your back. Avoid sleeping on your back, as gravity makes it more likely for your tongue and soft tissues to drop and obstruct your airway.
* Elevating your head four inches may ease breathing and encourage your tongue and jaw to move forward. Specially designed pillows are available in the market to help prevent snoring.
*Keep bedroom air moist with a humidifier as dry air can irritate membranes in the nose and throat.
*Clear nasal passages. A stuffy nose makes inhalation difficult and creates a vacuum in your throat, which entails snoring. Try nasal decongestants or nasal strips for easy breathing while sleeping.
Hope the above guidelines will help you to quit snoring ! Sleep tite 🙂