Darknet: Be Aware and Beware
There’s a Darknet?? (O.o) It figures. Haven’t even learned how to harness the power of the Internet and there’s a Darknet! Without knowing anything about it, because of the word “dark” if you were to assume something sinister or criminal is going on your assumption would be right. But! Not everything that happens in that area of cyberspace is wicked or evil. A lot is! But not everything.
A Few Fascinating Facts That are NOT True
But before you go there, here are a few fascinating facts to peak your curiosity.
- A hidden Internet exists underneath the ‘surface web’ and it’s EE-VILLE. Moo-ah-hah-hah-hah! (NOT!)
- To become a member of the Darknet elite you must be a criminal and have super advanced geek skills or … sell your soul to Satan. (NOT!!)
- Darknet was created by the Illuminati who were also inventors of the Deep Web and both systems serve mysterious sinister purposes, including mind control via webcams. Moo-ah-hah-hah-hah! (NOT!)
- Accessing the Darknet is practically impossible. An ordinary web browser cannot be used. If you don’t have a connection with The almighty god of the geeks in charge, you might as well forget about it!
The last bullet is totally not true. You can use a common browser like Firefox.
A Few Fascinating Facts That Are TRUE!
- The Deep Web is just stuff not indexed by search engines. The Darknet is part of the Deep Web, however, in addition to its contents not being accessible via search engines, users have anonymity, accomplished using a technological enabler called an ‘onion network’.
- Darknet (or the ‘hidden Internet’) was originally developed by the U.S. Military. No Moo-ah-hah-hah-hah! That part is true. The United States Navy, to be specific.
“The Darknet’s large criminal marketplaces are well known. Here, you can buy everything from drugs to assassinations.” True and very scary.Quote Source: “A Beginner’s Guide to Exploring the Darknet” by Dean Walsh
- There is a community of netizens who have legitimate reasons for wanting to be anonymous and not have their content indexed. For example, darknet users in countries where censorship is enforced and freedom of expression is restricted and such activity could result in imprisonment or even execution. And of course, the U.S. military officials also have their reasons.
Where to Learn More
Want to know more? This guide for newbies and beginners by freelance writer Dean Walsh should be your first stop.
After your first stop, follow these dots:
- 7 Darknet Markets Where Your Cryptocurrency Is Welcome – Bitcoin News
- Cointelegraph: The Future of Money ~ Darknet News, Latest Events, etc.
- Dark Web Exposed: The Dream Of The Silk Road Is Alive On The Darknet
- The Role of the Dark Web in Future Cyber Wars to Come | Small Wars Journal