How to get started with keto diet for weight loss
A keto or ketogenic diet is a high fat, low-carb diet, which has shown to force your body to burn fat. Many people have successfully utilized it for rapid weight loss. Keto” is short-form for “ketogenic” – which is derived from the word “ketones.”
Ketones are used as source of fuel by our body whenever glucose is not available. we are all aware that glucose comes from carbs that we consume, and therefore, when you eat fewer carbs, you force your body to produce more ketones. Your body needs a source of fuel, and in this case there are two options – glucose or ketones.
When you’re on a ketogenic diet, your body switches from burning glucose to burning fat. This ultimately leads to weight loss, but there are other benefits, such as feeling less hungry and more energetic.
The most important thing to force your body into ketosis is to avoid carbs, especially the simple carbs, at the same time ensuring that you are getting enough fat from the food you eat. In this case, fat now becomes your primary fuel source, so it is important that you get it in right proportions.
Foods to Eat when on a Keto Diet:
- Healthy fats and oils such as butter, coconut oil, olive oil, and high-fat dressings.
- Dairy products such as full-fat cheese, sour cream, and heavy cream.
- Proteins such as eggs, chicken and seafood and red meat such as beef, mutton and pork, but in limited quantities. Oily fishes such as sardines, mackerels and wild salmon are to be preferred over other sources of protein.
- Vegetables – Dark leafy greens such as spinach, lettuce, bok choy as well as other above-ground vegetables.
- Fruits – Lower-carb fruits such as Indian gooseberry, blackberries, raspberries, and strawberries
- Nuts and seeds such as almond, peanuts, cashew nuts, pumpkin seeds, flaxseeds
Foods to Avoid when on a Keto Diet:
- You must avoid all starchy foods such as bread, pasta, potatoes and rice.
- High sugar drinks like sweetened sodas and packaged juices are to be completely avoided.
- Sugary Snacks such as candy and chocolate bars contain massive amounts of sugar, and need to be completely avoided. Also pastries and other sweets need to be avoided.
- Alcohol also has to be completely avoided.
The benefits of keto diet, besides helping in weight loss include, feeling more energetic, lighter and thinner. It also helps in promoting better sleep – helping you feel more rested.
But remember, you will need to consult your dietitian; and if you are suffering from any medical disorder – your doctor as well, before adopting keto diet on a long term basis.